February is here, and spring cleaning right around the corner. That makes it the perfect time to challenge yourself to declutter your home. This month, challenge yourself and your family members to spend 15 minutes each day decluttering your home. Less clutter makes keeping our homes clean and organized that much easier and leaves more time for fun! Here are some tips to be successful in your task.
- Where To Start – Start by picking which areas of your home needs to be decluttered the most and start there. The bigger impact you see at the start of the month, the more motivated you will be to keep going by the end of the month.
- Set A Timer – To make sure you are keeping track of your time, use your phone or kitchen timer and stick to your 15 minute goal. This will keep you from becoming overwhelmed and encourage you to break down your decluttering into smaller tasks.
- Break It Down – Again, the point of the 15 minute goal is to keep you from getting overwhelmed. Your goal here is not a whole room in one day, but a piece of the room. Start with a drawer or box, sort through a bin. Keeping these tasks small and manageable is key in your success.
- Free Up Space – Making room so you don’t have to store items on your counter and furniture tops will help your space look and feel decluttered. Ditching all of your old chemical cleaners is a great way to make room under your sinks so they can be used for storage instead of cleaning supplies.
- In with the New, Out With the old – As a rule of thumb, if you bring home something new into your home, take out the old! This will help keep your home clutter free!
- Give Away/Sell, Put Away, Throw Away – Not sure what to do with your items? Get three different boxes/bins/bags and label them. This help you keep track of where things need to go at the end of your 15 minutes.
- Ditch anything not used in the last six months – A lot of people have a hard time parting with things they think they may eventually use. If you haven’t used it in the last six months, it needs to go (with the exception of seasonal items)!
- Let Norwex Help – Clean as you go! As you put things back in their place it will feel better if you are starting with a fresh clean area to store your items. Dust the shelves with your EnviroWand or Norwex Dust Mitt, clean that random sticky spot off with your Norwex Scrubby Corner Enviro Cloth, or just wipe down the area or clean out the drawers with a damp EnviroCloth.
- Set a Garage Sale Date – Setting a date will help motivate you to get it done and keep you on you 15 minute a day goal. Reward yourself by doing something fun with the money your earn. Take your family on a fun day out, go to the spa, eat at your favorite restaurant that you don’t get to go to very often. Anything like this will motivate you to get rid of that stuff you don’t really need.
Are you up for the declutter challenge? We would love to see before and after pictures of your space!